Skip to main content

Being called "faggot" on Kingston Avenue

As many of my friends already know, last week, someone from the Crown Heights community called me a faggot on the main street of Crown Heights (Kingston Ave) and his tone was loud enough for the entire corner to turn around to see where that remark came from and who it was directed to. Although I really personally didn't get insulted, I have years of experience dealing with public bullies and I've grown thick skin, my 12 year old sister that was with me didn't just get insulted, she got pissed (in her own words). I actually know the person who did it, I know him since my childhood, and it doesn't surprise me that he yelled faggot at me in the street, he might have even thought it was a joke, but as was clear right afterward, it wasn't a joke.

You see, I have a 12 year old sister and she's my life. When I was ten years old and the youngest of five, my parents having a beautiful baby girl was the best thing that could have ever happened to me or my life. Despite our age gap, our ten year age gap, my sister has the personality of a 20 year old, the confidence of a girl who doesn't take crap from anyone, and the wisdom of a girl that knows what's right and ready to stand up against injustice. My activism for gay rights, orthodox gay people, and human dignity, is speeding up and gaining momentum, but I realized, that although my critics and enemies can't hurt me no matter what they say, it's the people close to me that I'm standing up for now. My sister, was walking in the street, proud to be my sister, knowing that her brother was the one who published the recent article in the Jewish Press about being gay in the frum community, and my sister was walking tall and proud with her gay brother.

It took my family years to get to the place that they're in now, supportive, accepting, and tolerant. The only one I always hoped would be supportive would be my little sister, in my mind she's kind of like a little me, a younger, stronger, more confident version of who I was when I was her age. But when my sister felt that sting, the sting that I used to feel when being humiliated in public for my sexuality, that's when I realized that I have to take on the issue of bulllying more head on and more direct. I posted the story to facebook, along with the gentlemen's name, and my friends and supporters took it from there. I know that some people messaged this person and told him that they didn't appreciate what he did, others wrote about it on walls of other people's profiles, along with groups on facebook that are against homophobia.

I will not let ANYONE try and bully the people who I love most. All the people who stand beside me know how ignorant some people can be sometimes, and sometimes ignoring someone might be the answer, but not in this case. My sister was offended, she wanted to go back and give him a piece of her mind, for how dare he yell such a disgusting thing out loud to her own brother. My sister's readiness to defend me is a glimpse of what I will do in order to protect the people that I love and care about. No one has the right to bring harm to innocent children, despite who their siblings, parents, or political affiliations are. What happened that Friday to me and my sister was bullying at it's best, but let it be clear, if you think you can just call someone something so offensive in public and get away with it, here's your wake up call: you can't, and you won't.

Comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to post any comment or questions. Negative commentary that does not serve a useful purpose will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

MILWAUKEE JEWISH COMMUNITY SAFETY ALERT!

I am publishing this letter today to notify the public of an individual named Tuvia Perlman and the immediate threat he poses to the safety of any and all children in his vicinity. I first met Mr. Perlman when I was 18 while attending an organization called JONAH (a Jewish conversion therapy organization that was shut down in 2015 after losing a lawsuit). When I met Mr. Perlman, we were on a retreat together called Journey Into Manhood, this retreat was facilitated by an organization called People Can Change. After this retreat, Mr. Perlman, who lived in Baltimore used to call me often, to the point where even at that time I felt extremely uncomfortable by his calls and long voicemails. Mr. Perlman as far as I knew at that time, had recently stopped being a teacher at a cheder (Hebrew word for elementary school). In a group setting that was facilitated on by JONAH on their premises in 2007, Mr. Perlman admitted to the entire group that he molested at least 2 of his 12/13-year-old stu…

Chasing the Devil - Sholom Eichler in Shackles

Sholom Eichler was arrested on March 21st near Kfar Chabad for sexually abusing me as a child. I had already filed a civil lawsuit against him in New York and he ignored the lawsuit and fled to Israel with his family. The result of that lawsuit is still pending, I was awarded a default judgment against him and will hopefully know the amount of that judgment by this coming Monday, March 25th.
As I’ve written previously on my Facebook page and have told many people as well, the last place that Sholom Eichler molested me was when our families were visiting Israel together on a family trip while we were staying at the [then Hilton] David Citadel hotel. The details of that incident, along with many of the other incidents remain clear as day in my mind; I even remember the room number that he abused me in while we were in Jerusalem.
After ignoring the civil lawsuit against him in New York Sholom Eichler and his family fled to Israel because of the default judgment that I was gr…

Sexual Abuse Victim Demeaned and Put on Notice for Misconduct at Hebrew Theological College

Hebrew Theological College Dean Doctor Esther Shkop demeans student survivor of sexual abuse and puts her on notice for having the audacity to talk about her experience. Kaylie's* (a pseudonym) courage is to be applauded. The college's actions are outrageous.

Kaylie*, an 18 year old College student in Chicago, had recently posted this image on her Facebook page with this caption:



“I'm a survivor of sexual abuse.

This is not a new thing. I've been a survivor as long as you've known me.

Are you going to change your opinion of me just because three evil people took advantage of me?

Are you embarrassed of me? Are you willing to share our story?

Let's see who my real friends are.”

Just a few hours ago, Kaylie* received the following email from one of the dean’s at her school with the subject line “Breaking all Boundaries”:

From: Esther Shkop <shkop@htc.edu> Date: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM Subject: Breaking all Boundaries To: [REDACTED] Cc: "olstein@htc.edu" …